Mushroom Grilled Cheese with Kale Pesto
4 slices of Maison CousinTM Belgian bread
2 Portobello mushroom caps
3 slices smoked cheddar cheese
1 slice buffalo mozzarella
3 tbsp. unsalted butter
2 cups kale, washed and chopped
1/3 cup walnuts, toasted
3 cloves garlic
½ cup olive oil
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. honey
Salt and pepper to taste
1. To a large food processor, add kale, walnuts, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice and honey. Blend until smooth and season with salt and pepper.
* Store extra pesto in a re-sealable container in the fridge up to one week. Yields 1½ cups of pesto.
2. Heat grill pan to medium high heat, cook mushroom caps until tender, 5-8 min. Slice and set aside.
3. Butter one side of each of the bread slices. On the non-buttered side of two slices, spread 1 tbsp. of pesto and top with sliced mushrooms and cheese. Top with reserved bread slice butter side up.
4. Return each assembled sandwich to the grill pan. Grill on each side on medium heat until bread is marked and cheese is melted, approximately 4 minutes per side.