Smokey Croque Monsieur
The smokiness of the ham and Gouda transform a comforting classic sandwich into a decadent delight. Serve with cornichons and caper berries for a salty complement to this rich and velvety ham and cheese sandwich.
4 Maison Cousin® Belgian bread slices ¼ inch thick
2 slices Emmental cheese halved
4 thin smoked ham slices
1/2 cup grated Smoked Gouda
2 tbsp. Butter
1/4 cup butter
3 tbsp. flour
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup 10% cream
1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
2 tsp. Herb de Provence
Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add flour; whisk until butter and flour are smooth and it becomes a light honey colour, 2-3 minutes.
- Slowly add milk and cream. Continue to whisk until sauce is thickened and thinly coats the back of a spoon, roughly 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in mustard, nutmeg, herb de province; season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to broil. Evenly spread butter on all four bread slices and place butter side up on a lined baking sheet. Toast bread until golden brown 2-3 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Flip over two bread slices butter side down and spread each with 2 tbsp. of béchamel sauce. Top the slices with ham and emmental. Place other bread slice on top.
- Finish each sandwich with 1 tbsp. of sauce and ¼ cup of Gouda.
- Broil for 5 -8 minutes until cheese is melted and golden brown.