Spiced Apple & Pear Cake with Vanilla Bean Custard
1 Maison Cousin® French Baguette cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 tbsp. butter
1/4 tsp. cloves
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. cardamom
3/4 cups brown sugar
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup half & half cream
2 large granny smith apples peeled, cored and chopped
2 pears peeled, cored and chopped
2 tbsp. white sugar for topping
6 egg yolks
1/3 cup white sugar
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1 Vanilla pod or 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, whisk together sugar and egg yolks for 2-3 minutes until creamy. Set aside.
- To remove vanilla seeds from pod. Cut the vanilla pod in two lengthwise. Using the back of a small knife gently glide edge along the inside of the vanilla pod, scraping the seeds away from the casing. Repeat with the other half. Place seeds in a small dish and set aside.
- Over a double boiler bring milk and vanilla seeds to a gentle boil. Remove milk from heat and slowly whisk into egg mixture. Return mixture to double boiler and gently whisk until thickened and custard coats the back of your spoon. Roughly 5-8 minutes. Remove from heat. Serve warm.
* to store and chill, cover the surface completely with plastic wrap. This will help prevent a skin from forming.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C).
- Cut bread and reserve. Butter an 8-inch round spring form baking pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together brown sugar, eggs, spices, cream and milk. Gently stir in apples, pears and bread until combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared spring form pan, gently pressing down to allow room for all of the mixture. Evenly top cake with white sugar.
- Bake for 35- 40 minutes until top is golden brown and cake has puffed. Remove from oven and allow cake to cool 10 minutes before removing from spring form pan. Gently remove cake from pan. Slice and serve warm with vanilla custard.